Tuesday, November 18, 2008

10 Things...

In light of leaving the country today, I thought I’d compile the top ten things I’ll miss the most over the next five weeks… here they are in no particular order

1. My Dallas friends!
I am sad to be missing out on the holiday party and any other fun weekend extravaganza in Dallas. Please save all the stories for me until I get back

2. Talking on the phone to friends and family.
I have become quite the Chatty Cathy as of late as evidenced by my cell phone bill. Just think, 5 weeks without long phone convos? I mean, if most companies do business on a global scale, then why is it that the phone companies have yet to offer an unlimited global calling plan?? It's a mystery to me.

3. Starbucks!
I am a Starbucks addict. It's rather sad to say, but if given the choice between buying lunch or Starbucks, I would pick the latter. Did I mention that I am now a goldcard member? There are no substitutes for Starbucks in The Netherlands; Dutch coffee is just not the same.


4. Breakfast… and skim milk, whole wheat bread, a ginormous salad, and fish without bones – who would have thought to take these things for granted?
Europeans don’t exactly take food on-the-run which in the U.S. is the whole point of break.fast. So basically, no breakfast for me :( And note-to-self, if you order fish in the Europe, you will most likely get the whole fish staring back at you on a plate, bones, scales, eye-balls and all. Here’s the picture from my August trip to the Netherlands as proof that no, I am not exaggerating:

5. My car
I looove driving my car. It’s the feeling of freedom that I can go anywhere… and it often takes me to the mall! I also love Sirius Satellite radio!

6. My wonderful bed
I am all about saving money, but I think a bed is one of those things that you need to splurge on. Don’t we spend like 1/3 of our lives sleeping? Well, probably more around a quarter in this day and age. But anyway, I’ve become quite the bed snob now that I’ve stayed in my fair share of hotels so it was only natural for me to want/need a nice mattress. I will miss! Oh and I recently got this lovely duvet cover + shams from West Elm. Looove it….

7. Paying with credit card
Apparently Europe has not quite adapted the American standard of “put everything on credit.” This will make it impossible to do my expenses. Greaaat.

8. Working out
Oh wait, I haven't done that in ages. Whatever happened to free time?

9. Flexible Fridays
I will unfortunately be working ALL 5 days of the workweek while I'm there

10. Tanning
No, not in a tanning bed, silly! I'm talking about mystic tanning... the sunless, 10-second tan that offers instant gratification. It's genius, really.

No comments: