Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Uh-MAZE-ing

So I was in a bit of a rush last night, not to mention a state of exhaustion, so I forgot to properly welcome everyone back to my blog. I have returned to Amsterdam for who knows how long, and thus, decided to keep the blog alive for the remainder of my stay here in Holland or wherever else my European travels take me. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I hope 2009 is a year full of joy for all! And I guess what better way to kick off the year than a trip to Amsterdam? Granted, it is starting to feel routine flying out here, but I’m hoping this time I will finally get a chance to explore, jump over to the UK, and do what I want to do, un-interrupted by client demands and my inbox. We will see! For now, I am content knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, i.e. I have definitely been confirmed for roll-off on January 16th.

Anyway, Christmas break is over and here I am. In Amsterdam. Again. Remember when I was here a couple months ago and I had small creatures in my hotel room? Well because of the infamous mice that ate my granola bars at the Victoria, I decided to book a different hotel this time around. Let me preface this by saying that I am a hotel snob. Yep, that’s right. I learned early on in my consulting career the difference between good (W Hotel New York) and bad (Best Western, Houston). In both the former and the latter, I faced flight cancellations and had to scramble for an overnight stay until I could get home. So anyway, this time I booked the Marriott Renaissance. I had stayed there back in August a few nights and remembered the nice beds, but that it had been under construction so the entry way was kind of ghetto (read: in an alleyway). Well, the complete renovation has been finished because when I walked into the new glistening lobby, my mouth about dropped. It’s an amazing hotel! Not only was I impressed with the lobby, but it looks as if I have been upgraded to a nicer room (thank you Platinum status), free breakfast every day (thank you again), and free drink coupons for the bar (woo-hoo!). I am finally reaping the benefits of my Marriott loyalty. I stayed 97 nights last year alone (which by the way does not include all my stays at Sheraton properties or Hilton properties… yes, this may be why I am a hotel snob). I will post pics of the hotel later...

No comments: